Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Days 47 & 48

Yesterday, I attended an early morning class. It seems a lifetime ago now, and I have few clear memories of it! However, I do remember starting out the class feeling worried about the early morning lack of flexibility, a little stiffness, etc, and by the end of the half-moon sequences, I was feeling awake and alive and glad to be there. it was a pretty good class--not a rock star class, but not a struggle either; just a good solid class.

Afterward, I went straight to the community center to teach a yoga/fitness class to seniors. I had a busy day, running all over town for various meetings. I managed, yesterday, to get my old skinny jeans on, and I felt pretty good about that. I've lost a little weight and really toned up quickly with this challenge. I met a friend for a big, spicy, rich, late afternoon meal at a Cuban restaurant, and I attended a big community event in the evening. Still, I was home and in bed by 10PM, and I didn't have a drop of alcohol.

But I really got up on the wrong side of the bed today! I woke in the middle of night a couple of times, fell right back asleep, but felt rather cranky and sleep-deprived in the morning. Was it from eating too much? or eating too rich/spicy? My head ached a bit, and I felt vaguely nauseated. Taught some classes this afternoon, and I just put off my Bikram class for as long as possible, hoping that I'd start feeling better later on. I also wanted to be sure to have plenty of time to keep hydrating, and to not have anything in my stomach at class time.

This evening's class was taught by one of my favorite teachers (I have a lot of favorite teachers), J, the cartoon geek, who always makes me smile. I was still not feeling well, not in a very happy frame of mind, and not very energetic. But J. says silly things and it reminded me that I can smile. It helps, it really does. Just a little smile, then a few thoughts of gratitude, then some focus on breathing, and I don't feel so bad anymore. I was still kind of dragging through class, low energy, but I really felt better. Learning that I truly can change the way I feel, physically, emotionally, and mentally just by using my breath, thinking some good thoughts, consciously changing my attitude...it's so empowering, to know this.

After tonight's class, I'm feeling a few chills, so I think that it's possible that my body is just fighting off a mild virus or something. Pre-101 Challenge, I probably would've skipped class to baby myself, saying I needed the extra rest. Now I feel as if I need to go to class to 'burn' away the sickness and keep me on a healing path. And to keep working on attitude, cultivating stillness in my postures and in my mind.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, stay in the room to chase away any lurking virus! Hooray for getting into the skinny jeans! What a nice side effect of the challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Burn" the sickness away--that's just perfect. I found myself doing just that on Tuesday. Of course, I felt like crap on Wednesday and stayed home from work! But I don't regret the practice at all.

    Take care of yourself! Yay for stillness!

    ReplyDelete