Tuesday, February 23, 2010

54! A Rough One!

I had a tough time at class today.

I was feeling good today, and I taught at the community center's senior program today. I throw in so many Bikramisms that it's not even funny. One favorite is, "As long as you are doing your best, you are getting the full physiological benefit of the posture." A favorite posture, for which I give word for word Bikram dialogue instruction, is wind removing pose. Some classes have students who are too frail or just plain unwilling to get onto the floor for postures or exercise; in those cases, we do a modified wind-removing pose while seated in our chairs. It's better than nothing. It is so great for seniors, many of whom suffer from irregularity and poor digestion. It also brings circulation to the hands and fingers, and helps with stiffness and pain that are common in older people. Plus, it makes us bend up our knee, to help preserve or improve range of motion, and it is a hip opener that can be done gently and gradually. Even a very infirm person can get a little bit of good hip opening in this posture. The students really seem to want to know more once I start explaining the benefits of a posture. I am so glad that Bikram came up with that incredible dialogue.

After teaching, I had...steak tacos for lunch. I drank a lot of water today, and I had 2 packets of Emergen-C as well. I'd planned to go to 4:30 class, but I didn't finish lunch until 2:00 or so, and I've found that I get through class a lot easier when at least 4 hours have gone by since my last meal. So I opted for 6:30 class, and guess what: I still felt full and nauseated and thought that my lunch was going to make an appearance at class. Ugh. I sat out one set of camel, one set of triangle, and I had to just stop during kaphalbhati breathing. Felt super-duper tired during class too.

Right after class, I felt shivery and chilled and weak, and I was thinking, "Maybe I'm getting sick with flu or something." Now, after a shower, re-hydrating, and a light meal, I feel great. This is becoming a little too familiar: Crappy class, I think I'm getting sick; Naw, I feel great now that class is over. Do I need to work harder at preparing for class? Should I just stop worrying & fussing, try to cultivate acceptance each day? Would I benefit from pushing myself harder during class? Is it just inevitable that some classes suck when you're doing a challenge?

I am not well educated about Eastern religions or spiritual practices, but intrigued by the bits and pieces that I've heard about. The number 54 is a holy number in some Hindu traditions, so I am grateful and feel blessed to make it to day 54, like it's a special day. Also, I feel silly letting this be known, and I do not want to offend anyone by seeming to take spiritual traditions lightly, but today, when some postures were difficult, I said a little chant to Ganesha in my head. Ganesha is the breaker of obstacles. I was imagining a playful little elephant god lifting my legs higher in locust pose, gently helping me move forward in stretching pose, helping me get past the obstacles in my practice.

Well, I'm off to take care of some laundry before I hit the hay. 54 was a rough class, but a rough class is better than no class.

4 comments:

  1. "Rough class is better than no class"--amen to that! I tend to obsess over "what happened" when I have a bad vs. good class. Last night I had a "good" class, and this after eating a really rich lunch. I was even wondering if I should be eating MORE for lunch! But for me, I know that it's mostly my mental state that dictates how I'll be doing in class. And that's something I can (sorta) control.

    And I love when you write about the yoga classes you teach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my worst classes ever was after a lunch of tacos! Fear the taco!!! Hahah. Good thing I don't live in Southern California anymore. I'd never be able to practice.

    As for "Crappy class, I think I'm getting sick; Naw, I feel great now that class is over": I think you're right that there will inevitably be some classes where you feel crappy during a challenge. But like you tell your seniors, "As long as you are doing your best, you are getting the full physiological benefit of the posture." Swap the word "class" for "posture," and be proud of yourself. :) (And hey, you feel good after class, right? This is great!)

    I love your Ganesha visualization!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really think we go through varying levels of detox. That "bad class, then flu like feeling" is familiar to me and always feels like another layer of toxins coming out of our bodies. So I say go with the flow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really watch my food or drink intake as carefully as I should. I try to eat 2 or more hours before class. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. For sure, I drink lots of water. I just take the class as it comes. Sometimes great, sometimes not so much. It is usually mental for me.

    ReplyDelete