Friday, February 5, 2010

Brutal! Great!

Day 36 was BRUTAL. Extra hot, extra humid. And I'd had some stomach problems all day, even canceled a class that I was supposed to teach today. My queasy stomach, a room packed with 50 people, and humidity that was definitely higher than 60% ( I checked the reading on the thermo-station after class, after the fans had been on and door and window opened, and it was still above 60) all contributed to my first "hot nap" of the challenge. I sat out a LOT. I simply couln't seem to get enough oxygen. My heart rate would not slow down, even while I rested in savasana. I was dizzy by standing head to knee. My stomach hurt. During spine-strengthening series, my head began to throb.

Whenever the conditions in the yoga room seem difficult, I never know if it's just me, my mind searching for excuses, or if it's truly extra hot. Well, the students were dropping like flies today. It wasn't just me. Several other students sat out as many or more postures than I did, and almost half the class sat out at least one. Six people left the room, and only three came back in. Our studio is pretty strict about not leaving the room, so it was very unusual to see.

Conditions of the room, the conditions of my mind, and the conditions of my body were all difficult and uncomfortable today. Well, all I can do is go back tomorrow and try again! Not all that long ago, I might easily have found a class like today's to be incredibly demoralizing, discouraging. One sign that my mindset is getting stronger: I wish class had felt better today, but I know I'll have good classes again soon and more of these steamy, brutal, tough classes. It doesn't bother me or discourage me. We start fresh again tomorrow, we bring a different body and a different mind to class each day, and doing our best with what we've got in any given moment is what it's all about.

And wouldn't you know, after that miserable class, I feel GREAT.

1 comment:

  1. I had a pretty miserable class, too! It's such a "Captain Obvious" statement to say, "It's HOT in here," but sometimes it's just so hard. We definitely need to be gentle with ourselves during those tough classes, though. There's always tomorrow, especially for you!

    The heart rate thing is tricky. The meds I'm on make my heart rate go higher more easily, and I find it hard to keep from getting super-panicky in the backbending postures. I'm actually really flexible that way, though, so it can be frustrating.

    It will all come, though!

    ReplyDelete