Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Day 89??!! It's Happening So Quickly!

I can't believe we're so close to the finish line! I don't want it to end. I think. I am in yoga bliss tonight. I can still recall many a night when I've felt depleted, drained, and cranky after class. It hasn't all been bliss! But right now, I am loving my yoga practice and loving the 101 Challenge with all of my heart.

Tonight we had a couple of newbies practicing at the back of the room, and two very pregnant (7 mo and 8mo along) women were set up next to the door. It was a fairly crowded class, but the room was cool, at least by our studio's standards. Our studio is known for being very hot. Our teacher opened the window a little for a bit, and also kept the exhaust fans on, so it was quite comfortable!

I wish it were not so, but I tend to do better at cooler classes. Too often, too hot and humid = depleted and cranky Sisya. Tonight I had one of my best classes ever. I felt very strong, and I saw progress in some of my postures. I felt very focused. I had to work at my focus, remind myself to ignore distractions, stay with the moment, listen to our teacher. It was a very satisfying class. If it hadn't been the last class of the day, I might have stayed for a double.

Last night I had a so-so, okay class. After class, I cleaned the studio. I do a couple of hours work each week as a trade for my studio membership and unlimited yoga classes there. I took a little break between cleaning the mirrors and getting the showers scrubbed, and I sat down and read a few random bits of Bikram's 'new' book, the one with the yellow/gold cover. I've read this book cover to cover several times, and I leaf through it every now and then. I always learn something new each time I read or reread any part of it. On the rereads, I often find myself thinking, "Wow, I thought I understood that when I read it before, but now I really understand it." Not even the parts about postures, but what Bikram says about how our minds work.

And it's just like that with the practice of yoga. I think I've understood a posture, or thought I did it 'correctly,' and then upon closer examination or review, I realize something entirely new about it, and I think, "Now I really understand it!"

Just about every kind of spiritual practice or teaching that I've ever encountered is very much like our yoga in this way: You can always revisit or review it and find more depth. The deeper you get into it, the more meaning you discover. The more you practice, the more the meanings--or the comprehension or the feelings or the benefits--grow exponentially. It's amazing stuff, this yoga.

4 comments:

  1. Yup, it sure is...I think that is why we all go back again and again, even through the tough times...because the practice truly deepens. And opens us to our own depths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! Time is racing a way. I almost feel like doing doubles just to not let the challenge slip away to soon.

    Great comments about the depth of understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I agree with what you're saying--a practice or belief system that's tapped into the spiritual has a way of always having somewhere to go. I just read the gold book for the first time and can see it's one I can revisit.

    I know what you mean about the "hot" classes. Before my studio owner covered it, the temp was exposed and occasionally it'd get up to 117. I'm sure she'd supplement by opening the doors/vents, but I know what you mean by those depleting classes... it can be too much sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the encouragement on my journey toward clarity. I am working on reading Bikram's posture book. I have not read the 'new' one yet, but I do plan to order it soon.

    ReplyDelete