Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day 82: Gratitude and Needing Peace

A very hot class this afternoon. Mostly just great. I kicked out better than usual in standing head to knee today, so it feels like a gift of a class.

Afterward, in the changing room, a woman I don't know was getting ready for the next class. She asked me, "How often do you practice?" I told her that I'd been coming every day since New Year's, and she said, "I've seen you before, and I notice how different you look. It's really changed you. It's nice for me to see somebody getting such great results!"

Her comments surprise me! I feel better, stand straighter, lost a little weight, but I didn't think that the gifts of this challenge were obvious to strangers! I kind of felt like crying. I'm so glad to be doing the challenge.


On another note, I've been doing a little research and making some inquiries, trying to prepare a little before moving forward with offering some kind of yoga for police and our community. In the meantime, another man was shot and killed by a police officer in our city yesterday afternoon. While I was at yoga class, a group of about 50 people protested by starting a small scale 'riot.' They broke an ATM, a Starbucks window, and damaged an insurance agency's office. The details from the shooting are still being withheld. It's sad and difficult, and emotions are running high.

The more we are aware of the pain and violence in this world, the more crucial it seems for us to cultivate peace within, through yoga, meditation, prayer, or whatever means you have. Pray for peace. Practice peace.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm sorry to hear your city is facing such trouble with the police. Tragic irony--they are meant to "serve and protect." And at the same time you have this lovely compliment (more of an observation, I guess!) about how yoga has affected you. The world, she gives, she takes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you're making progress. Don't forget though that more stories like that are bound to happen. Change is slow but will happen with time.

    I think I shared this Michael Franti quote before:
    "As I've grown deeper in my practice there is one question that keeps coming up for me: Can I be the peace that I want to se in the world?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, E. Lots of our police do serve and protect, but there are some who don't. Hey, you know, police are sometimes called, "peace officers." Wouldn't it be great if our peace officers were striving to embody peace?
    Johan, that is a wonderful quote.

    ReplyDelete