Thursday, January 21, 2010

Whatever you do, do it good!

Yea! Day 21 feels like a mini-milestone to me. I'm giddy right now, just home from the last evening class. It was a long and busy day, and I am running on very little sleep. I was oh-so-tempted to skip out on yoga today, felt very nervous about going to class when I was so sleep-deprived and grumpy, but it was a great class, and I cannot freaking believe that I feel so good right now! This yoga just keeps amazing me.

I've been cutting down my coffee consumption a lot lately; I just don't seem to be craving it the way I usually do. I drank some pu-ehr tea for a pick-me-up this afternoon and drank plenty of water with some Emergen-C too. I was almost late for class--got in the room just as pranayama was starting. It was packed! People had to move mats to make room for me, and were cheek by jowl for 90 minutes.

I'm not gonna lie: I got very very light-headed & dizzy in standing series and sat out second set of bow-pulling pose. There was a moment there that felt very unsteady, and while I feel a little wimpy for copping out, I think it was justified. Maybe. In a way.

Oh, I don't know!

Anyway, my standing head-to-knee pose doesn't look all that great, but it sure feels good! I am overjoyed on days like today when I ease into the kick slowly and smoothly and am able to hold on, keep kicking out, and stay still. No wobbles (well, not as many) and no straining. It feels like I am finally on the right track with this posture! It feels so good to be making noticeable improvements in asana. Prior to the challenge, my practice had become rather stagnant, and it had been a while since I'd felt real progress happening.

I love my teachers. My class tonight was taught by this sweet, funny guy who has worked on some famous animated films. He is a bit of a comic book geek and always has interesting and silly things to say, often throwing in some tale or joke from a cartoon series or comic book. He always makes us laugh or at least smile.

Tonight, as we lay in savasana, he said, "Pay attention to your expression," and then he began singing! He was slightly off-key the whole time, and the song went:

It's not what you look like when you do what you're doin'
It's what you're doin' when you're doin' what you look like you're doin'
Express yourself!
Express yourself!

I googled this song when I got home, and it's by Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd St. Band.
I'm a little dorky, but I really like it as a yoga-song-in-my-head:

Do it!
Go on & do it!
Yo, do it,
Give!
Whatever you do, do it good!
Whatever you do, do it good!


1 comment:

  1. That's cute! I LOVE how each teacher brings something different and unique to the table!

    ReplyDelete