Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 3--Observations

Yesterday's class was relatively small--27 people. On Saturday, there were more than 40 people in my class, and DSOTM class had 70!

So you'd think it would've been spacious and cool, but no such luck. Our studio has some small variations in heat and humidity from day to day, class to class, and there are parts of the room that are cooler than other areas, little regions with better air flow. It's kind of hilarious to see how quickly students find the cooler, airy places. People run in before they're even out of their street clothes to slap their mat down and claim a "good" spot. I've even seen little squabbles ensue, eg: "Did you move my mat? Well, somebody moved it; it was right where yours is now!"

So, when I got to class, there were about 15 mats in the 'cool' parts of the room, practically on top of one another. The rest of the room was sparsely occupied. I went to the hot side, not entirely willingly. If there's a cool spot open, usually, I'll take it.

I had a very sweaty practice! I didn't feel too hot, but I perspired much more heavily than usual. I think that the humidity was high. I'd done a good job of hydrating and made sure to get my electrolytes earlier in the day, but I ended up drinking the entire contents of my 1 liter water bottle during class, which is something I almost never do. I just felt parched and depleted! I felt as if I needed that water!

But of course, all of that liquid sloshing around in my stomach made me feel awful and I sat out part of camel and was just generally hating class because of it. Bleah!

Good things about Day 3: Standing head to knee continues to show improvement. I've definitely made some progress with this posture. My half-moon is better and easier all of the time. I am able to get through standing series without getting too dizzy, or at least, to not give into the fear I feel when I feel a little dizzy. I saw my 101 Challenge buddy, whom I will call Sonya, at class, which was heartening. I hadn't seen her on Days 1 & 2, and I was worried that she wasn't doing the challenge after all. That's not the case, and it's really nice to have a peer with whom to do the challenge.

Today, I'm gonna focus on focus! I want to concentrate on my asana, stay focused, and try to avoid being distracted in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment