Friday, February 26, 2010

Day 57--My Super-Powers Return!

Well, that's an exaggeration, but I had a good class this evening! It was fairly hot and humid, but not too hot and humid, and I was well-hydrated and able to do both sets of everything. My balancing postures were not at their best today, but they weren't at their worst either. It was a good solid class.

I didn't have any water until the old fixed-firm set-up time. It's my true moment of weakness. I did not experience any queasy feelings today though. I was feeling slightly hesitant before camel, but as I watched the very very pregnant lady in front of me set up and do an awesome camel posture, I said to myself, "If she can go all the way into that posture, I certainly ought to at least give it my best attempt."

Also, I have lately been very pleased to find that half-locust has become my friend. In the past, I have loathed this posture. I felt very inadequate, with my feeble little leg lifts. These days, I go higher and higher with the separate leg lifts, and the both legs part of it is no longer a terrible strain. I would like to go higher, and I need to learn a lot more about how to press down and bring the weight into arms, shoulders, and upper body, but I am finally lifting my legs at the proper angle on a regular basis.

I taught a senior program class today, and only a few people showed up. A woman who often gasps and says that any given posture is too hard for her told me today that she often thinks of various postures and does them at home. We did eagle arms at class today, and she couldn't quite get her hands into prayer. She was keen to tell me that she'd done so at home the other day. She said that she's been taking breaks from her computer by doing some yoga to loosen up and keep her neck and shoulders from getting too stiff.

Whenever turn-out for the senior classes is low, I start to feel a little discouraged. But getting some nice feedback from participants and hearing that someone is benefiting from the classes makes me feel energized and ready to teach more. Yoga is a wonderful thing, isn't it? I can't imagine what my life would be like without it. I am so glad that I found Bikram Yoga, because this yoga really struck a chord with me. It made sense and felt right and inspired to me to explore other facets of yoga. I love it so much that I want to share it. I am going to stop being wishy-washy "maybe" about it: My goal is to go to teacher training this fall.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! Teacher training! Good for you, and really good for you for setting the goal. Sometimes declaring your intentions (especially on a BLOG) is the hardest part.

    Take it easy on yourself for not having the same amount of students as usual! So many external factors can affect attendance. And isn't the positive feedback so motivating? The universe returns our energies sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay Sisya! If you want any of my "insight" into TT as a not so young'un, let me know.

    It doesn't matter how many you have in class as the numbers always fluctuate - what matters is the students and what they get out of it. Sounds like even in the resistant types you are planting seeds and watching them grow. That is the most fabulous part of teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on declaring your intention! This is huge. I am so very excited for you. :)

    ReplyDelete