Saturday, April 17, 2010

a few random thoughts and facts about the challenge

It's almost a week since we completed our 101 Challenge. I threw up at the final class, and it really bummed me out! I have been avoiding blogging, even though I have so many things I want to say about doing the challenge. I think my avoidance is partly because I was disappointed to end on a sour note, but also because I hate to see the challenge end.

I have been to class every day since Day 101, and I intend to continue daily practice.

Here's some vanity stats about the challenge: I ended up losing a total of 12 pounds. I lost an inch or so from my bust line, 2 inches from my waist, and 2 1/2 inches from my hips. My thighs each lost 1 1/2 inches as well. I am doubtful that I will ever have a "yoga butt" though! women in my family tend to have what my brother in law calls "Nebraska ass:" Wide and flat, like the state my mom's family settled in. Mine is not as wide as it used to be.

I ate like a horse most of the time during the challenge too...never went hungry or denied myself, and I still lost weight. I continue to have voracious cravings for protein, and I am suddenly a huge fan of pickles and all things vinegary.

One thing that I've come to see is how important consecutive, daily practice is for anyone seeking changes--weight loss, in particular--from yoga. Lots of trainers, teachers, and even Bikram teachers say that you need a day off to recuperate. As a general lifetime rule, that may be true, and there are certain conditions and injuries that preclude daily practice. However, most of us benefit immensely from a challenge, a daily practice. Whether it's 30, 60, 90, or 101 days, daily practice without let up makes a big, big difference. It's like a kick-start, really gets things moving. Weight that clung to me stubbornly when I was practicing 3, 4, or 5 X/week finally left when my body had a relentless, daily program of cleansing, detoxing, and working to get circulation to every muscle, joint, and organ. More oxygen, more circulation--every organ functions better, and suddenly my metabolism is on track again.

Many days during the challenge, class exhausted me, made me sore, tired, and cranky. I felt sick a lot. I threw up a few times. But overall, I have better, more consistent energy levels now, both in and out of Bikram class.

I am glad to fit into my skinny jeans again, but I also feel a little like, "Huh. Big deal." The weight and body image issues are just reflections of inner issues. And the challenge led to so many changes inside of me--not just bones to skin changes, but mental, emotional, and spiritual changes. And I sense the potential and the need for even more change.

It was a blessing to have this yoga, this practice, to guide me through a challenging time in my personal life. I don't know how I would've managed without yoga. After I came back to Bikram yoga classes, with an injured back and a lot of other aches and pains and physical problems, I used to say, "I don't know how this old body would cope without yoga." Now I feel that way about mind and spirit--where would mine be without yoga?

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the losses (literally and figuratively ;-) and gains so candidly. I've always really connected with your blog and felt we have similar struggles and insights. So happy to hear that there are deeper than "bones-to-skin" changes that have taken place. I hope you're going to keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yolk E said it...thanks for sharing...that's amazing. My weight didn't budge, but I certainly feel better and a few days after the challenge was over I had my best class in ages. Felt like the old / new me. I do believe the outside changes are very reflective of inside changes. So, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so, so awesome. I totally know where you're coming from with not writing because you have so much to say - I'm in the same boat. It just takes some time to process, doesn't? And in good time, it will begin to become clear, and we will know EXACTLY what we have to say. I think the last sentence of your post really says it all: "I used to say, 'I don't know how this old body would cope without yoga.' Now I feel that way about mind and spirit--where would mine be without yoga?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am new to your blog and was wondering if you did any doubles during your challenge? I am starting a personal challenge and there is usually 1 day in a week that I cannot practice due to work. Does that day off affect the ability to lose weight? Will doing doubles make up for a missed day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbie, I think that weight loss issues differ a lot from one person to the next. When I did yoga regularly, but not daily, I lost a little weight at first, but then I just hit a looong stretch of months when I could not drop a pound, even while restricting calories and going to class 3X /wk or more. So stepping up the frequency of my yoga practice seemed key.

    If your weight loss stalls or your practice feels stagnant, doubles are another way to intensify your yoga, but I wouldn't say you HAVE to do doubles or practice every day. I know of at least one Bikram studio that does group challenges that are all 6 days a week, one day off.

    I did a couple of doubles and I skipped a day near the end of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go! Amazing. You challengers have inspired me to do a 30 day coming up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations for making it through! Hey, don't worry about throwing up your last class. Your body wanted to make sure you went out with a bang! :)

    ReplyDelete