Thursday, September 23, 2010

Ugh.

So, now I have a new challenge, one I was not expecting and do not welcome. I am up in the air right now, after experiencing a LOT of emotional turmoil this evening. I don't know what to d0--don't know what I can do--in an upsetting and disappointing situation.

My studios have advanced classes twice a week. We don't have an officially certified-for-advanced class teacher, but we have two very accomplished certified teachers of the beginning series who "lead" the advanced practice. Right now, close to the Championships, the studios also have a coaching night for competitors, and coaching night is led by an advanced class teacher/leader.

My schedule has not allowed for me to attend advanced classes, though I was invited to attend (by the studio owner) a year ago. Having been encouraged to participate in the competition, I made plans to attend advanced class. Last night, I spoke with the studio owner, the studio manager, and another new-to-competition student about attending advanced tonight. I juggled my schedule and took beginning series class, worked a shift at the front desk, and was preparing to run to the other studio for advanced practice. The woman who is leading advanced had just finished teaching at the place I did my desk shift. When she was leaving, I said, "I guess I'll see you at advanced tonight," and that was the last normal moment in my life for the next hour.

She looked at me with a completely horrified expression, and she said, "Were you invited to attend advanced? Who told you you could go?" She went on to tell me that she feels I am not ready, and though she can't stop me from attending, she would prefer that I didn't.
I stared at her, looking like I don't know what, but I was stunned, hurt, bitterly disappointed, and just freaking shocked, really.

She said, "What are you thinking?" and I said, "All kinds of things, really." She said, "Oh? Tell me two or three of them." I told her that I was disappointed and felt very rejected. She said, "See? That's why I think you're not ready. It's not about your ego."

We actually sort of quarreled after that, trying to communicate. I felt as if everything I said was either misunderstood or invalidated by this woman, and I am really fairly flummoxed. This woman does the coaching for competition, and she leads one of the weekly advanced classes. I feel as if it is going to be very difficult and horrible for me to try to attend these classes with her as my coach and teacher.

I know that I am not perfect and I have ego issues and insecurities, but I can't help feeling that this woman was rude--or at least very insensitive--and not at all supportive of me or my practice. I feel very confused, because I've had several other teachers urge me to compete and to strive to go to teacher training, and to attend advanced practice. I am not the greatest yogi in the room, but my practice has come so far. It's baffling to be encouraged, then have someone in a position of authority take pains to DIScourage me. It is infuriating to try to explain my feelings and defend myself only to have my ego blamed for all the problems, mixed messages, and misunderstandings, the disappointment, hurt, and, well, what feels like disrespect. Ugh.

Maybe something will seem clearer later. I am hoping to speak with the studio owner tomorrow, but tonight, for a little while, it's felt like everything is ruined, that I'll never be able to take advanced, go to teacher training, or be in the competition. I am so angry with this teacher right now, and trying to resolve these emotions seems almost impossible. Let no one steal your peace, but gosh, I really didn't expect to have something like this happen. I don't know what to do. This woman has lots of influence at our studios. This disappointing assessment of my practice, along with the really really unpleasant interaction tonight makes me feel...very ill at ease.

What am I supposed to do here?

4 comments:

  1. That IS rude and very sad!! As a teacher and as someone who's been involved with championships, I can tell you that I would NEVER give that kind of response to someone under ANY circumstances. The ONLY correct response to a student who's interested in competition is: "That's great! I'm happy that you want to compete! Let me help you improve your postures and have some fun." Even if you suck (which I doubt that you do) that's still the correct response. We ALL sucked at this stuff when we started!! Of course you were frustrated. You were shot down, completely out of the blue, in a totally unpleasant way. Suck!

    I think you should do exactly what you're doing and talk to the studio owner. Sleep on it first, then talk to the people in charge when your head is clearer. Let them deal with her. Do NOT try to deal with her yourself! It sounds like that road was a total dead end. Talk to her boss, and then let her to come to you... preferably, with an apology. SHE'S the one who needs to get on the same page with everybody else. You didn't do anything wrong. Don't let one rotten apple spoil the basket!!! (Or whatever the hell that expression is...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with dancingJ, talk with your studio owner and let her deal with what is needed to be delt with.

    From my limited experience with the Advanced classes that we have is that you are welcome to Advanced after you have spoken to and got an OK from one of the teachers, then the other teachers accept that OK that is the least a teacher can accept from another teacher.

    The teacher did not only say no to you but also questioned a descission that your studio owner have taken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sisya, how very discouraging! I really feel with your disappointment and I am very sorry you had to feel that from someone you want to trust!! Although we do not practice to seek the approval of others, our practice seems to bring a sense of closeness to all yogis.
    It seems as though her ego may be the one in the way. If she felt a need to quarrel with you and discourage your aspirations as well as the words of other yogis encouraging you in your practice, it is stemming from her pride. Not yours. I also agree with Dancing J... Let her come to you.
    Keep your peace and your calm. Practice knowing you continue to do a beautiful thing for yourself.. And your studio owner can obviously see the beauty in your humble practice as well as the potential in your practice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with Juliana. even if you did perhaps suck, i would still be positive about it

    ReplyDelete