Monday, September 27, 2010

Letting No one Steal Your Peace?

I'm supposed to meet with the studio owner and the adv. teacher tomorrow. I spoke with the owner about the whole incident, and I dunno. Owner described the teacher as "tactless," but seems to think that it's not that big a deal. Owner gave me a lot of the "let no one steal your peace" stuff.

I don't want to be treated unfairly or badly. If I seek to remove myself from classes and a teacher who does that, am I copping out, am I letting her steal my peace?

This feels like a no-win situation.
Either I take classes with this teacher, which pretty much guarantees that I'll be asked to take crap from her --(and by 'take crap,' I don't mean being criticized or pushed hard or challenged; I mean being treated badly by someone who doesn't care about me or my practice one iota)-
-or I miss out on advanced class and competition coaching,
or I go to great lengths to find some other arrangement to move forward with my practice--like starting all over at a new studio, or finding someone else who will help coach me, or putting it all on hold for another year.

I wish things were different. I don't know what to do. Gonna take the dog to the park, sit in the sun, and pray. My problems are little in the grand scheme of things. I'm going to try to summon up some gratitude and calmness.

3 comments:

  1. Aww, hug. I admire you for being willing to sit down with the teacher. That takes guts! And regardless of the outcome, she needs to hear this. I also admire you for feeling like you could continue practicing with her if she became reasonable--that takes reeeal courage!

    It's all about summoning up gratitude. It always helps me to remember that others suffer from similar problems... or worse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, what an awful situation! I respect you for following this through and talking it out. Please let us know what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should practice with the Adv. teacher, you have the studio owners blessing so what can go wrong?

    Just listen to the corrections that she gives you and just close your ears to the rest.

    If you feel offended or angry or sad of what she sais, just tell her "When you say "bla bla bla" I feel "your feeling". Then you take responsibility for what you are feeling and that you don't like her behaviour and you can talk about it.

    Let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete