Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Promoting Bikram Yoga...

in my neighborhood--that's what I've been doing. I never planned on doing it, but it keeps happening. I walk just a few blocks from my home through a residential area to get to my studio, which is in a nearby business district. Almost every night, as I'm staggering home, clutching my mat, with my hair still wet from the shower, people ask me, "Were you at that Bikram yoga place?" or, "Did you just do hot yoga at that studio up the street?"

I've been stopped by homeowners doing yard work, a group of hipster kids on fixies, young mothers pushing strollers around the neighborhood, and an elderly gentleman sitting on his porch. People ask, "What is Bikram yoga like?" I very much loved it when the older man asked me, "Do you think that I could do that stuff?" and I was able to say, without reservations, "Yes!"

I feel really fortunate to live in my cozy little neighborhood, the kind of place where people see our new studio as a part of our community and are interested in checking it out. I hope I see more of my neighbors there next time we have community day. I want to keep spreading the word.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome that your community is so tightly-knit that people NOTICE stuff like that. I live in a pretty sprawling/suburbia/city and the lady I get my take-out sushi from after classes sometimes never comments on my Bikram post-shower-wet-hair-haze.

    I've found that shirts work, and I can't wait til Ilovesweat starts selling tanktops I can wear again. Wearing the shirt prompts the questions, which can turn into encouraging future students! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our small city is really pretty friendly. I have a few stories about situations where I felt scared, being approached by strangers, only to have them make pleasant conversation.

    Is Ilovesweat a clothing co? or a studio? I like the idea of shirts as conversation starters.

    ReplyDelete